Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Day 3: in which I realize that none of my 14 ideas for posts is any good

I have a list of possible posts for this month. I started it back in September, because I already knew I would do this. I skipped last year because I wasn't blogging at all, but I've done it (NaBloPoMo in November) twice before.

But the problem, as I read over the list, is that they're all serious. There's not a single one that's going to make me smile, let alone you. And we just got done re-watching The Hunger Games and I need to lighten up so I can go to sleep. I hate tense movies, but I got out-voted on what movie to watch tonight, and even though it's tense and sometimes awful to watch, I have to confess that Hunger Games is a good story.

*goes away and thinks for awhile*

OK, I have an idea: a list.

SEVEN THINGS I DO THAT I SWORE I'D NEVER DO:


1. Let the dog sleep on the kid's bed. Not OUR bed, I haven't sunk that low yet, but yeah, I've given in on this one after years of swearing absolutely no dogs on the furniture in my house ever.

2. Own a cell phone. This one was a long time ago, but I've never liked talking on the phone and back in the 90s I couldn't imagine why I would ever want to carry a phone around with me. bwahahaha.

3. Lift weights. I'm so lame at this I'm a bit embarrassed to even say that I "lift," but I do, and I like it. Actually, I never swore that I wouldn't lift weights, I just never imagined I would. It's kind of fun.

4. Read romance novels. I was such a snob about romance novels for years. Then five or six years ago I found myself reading one, and then another, and now they're my favorite escapist read. Don't sneer unless you've actually read one--there are some pretty good writers out there writing the world's most popular genre.

5. Wear toenail polish. In my feminist phase, it seemed like a silly waste of time, a frivolous vanity. Now, it's one of the quickest ways I know to cheer myself up. Since we live in the frozen north, most of the year my toenails are out of sight, but they are often purple or blue or fuchsia.

5a. Same vein: get my hair highlighted.

6. Let my child drive at age 15. The driving age is 15 in Montana, but it was 16 in the states where Doug and I grew up. When we moved here, I thought this was ridiculous. The driving age should be higher, I argued righteously, not lower. But then I had to deal with the packed, crowded tiny residential streets surrounding Mel's high school, and it took only one day for me to decide that maybe it would be OK if she drove herself to school. Pulling up three blocks away and parking was no problem, but making my way all the way to the front of the school and then getting back out again was enough to change my mind.

7. Announce that I'm blogging on Facebook. Oops, I did it again. It practically makes me sick to my stomach.

All my lists seem to come out to seven. So, another day down. Hope you're having a good one. and if you have any good ideas for posts, puh-leeze let me know.

No comments: