Saturday, November 21, 2015

Day 21: Last Saturday was skin, so this Saturday will be hair. har.

I was planning something else for today, but we ended up deciding to get out of town this weekend and we will be out of internet range, so it has to be something I can type out in fifteen minutes. Hence, hair.

I first heard about the "no-poo" (no shampoo) idea several years ago--in fact, I wrote about my experiment with it in #4 of this post. The idea is that when you wash your hair, you strip off all the natural oil and create the need for a bunch of hair products that you otherwise wouldn't need.


Of course, the main proponent of this new trend is the guy who created the Wen products, and he is trying to sell you his hair products at the same time he's telling you that you don't need hair products. *rolls eyes*

The last time I tried it, I decided that it only works for people who have better hair than I do. Mine is a good color (especially now that I get it highlighted), but other than that, I have completely sucky hair. It's fine, thin, and stick straight, except it curves around my ears and has several cowlicks in places you wouldn't want them.

Wait, is there any place you would want a cowlick? probably not.

Anyway. If I stop using hair products, my hair reverts to its normal, lame self. I am very happy to have my favorite hair products, and like the skin stuff I talked about last week, I'm very loyal to it. Some of them are expensive (Ojon Volume Advance Shampoo, Aveda Be Curly conditioner and Phmollient styling foam) but I don't need to use them every day, and I use a tiny amount when I do use them, so they last a long time.

The rest all comes from Target--Organix shampoo/conditioner and Nexxus Maxximum "finishing mist" (aka hairspray) which I like because you spray it on, let it sit for about 15 seconds, then comb through it and it's not stiff.

Gah. I'm boring myself, I must be boring you, too.

OK. Of course like everybody my age, my skin is drying out, which includes my scalp, so I've been experimenting with only shampooing every 2-3 days. It works just fine. I still have to wet it down because it is beyond Medusa-like when I wake up, and I have to use conditioner because otherwise it is beyond static-y, but as long as I triple rinse the conditioner, it works great.

So why the hell am I typing this long post? I have no idea.

Given my new routine, about a month ago I was clicking around looking for a "cleansing conditioner" like Wen but cheaper, and I ran across RenPure. They have it at Target, which is where I buy just about everything (Target is our closest store, and even though ours doesn't have a full grocery store, it has lots of grocery store stuff)(it is 2 miles to Target, another five miles past that to an actual grocery store)(There is a Super Wal-Mart down the block from Target but I try to avoid Wal-Mart).

RenPure is basically the same thing as Wen, but it's under $10. So I bought some. You use a ton of it--ten pumps--and you have to leave it in for a full 3-5 minutes, then rinse well (I always triple rinse conditioner).

The first time I used it, I was astonished. My hair looked great. But when I used it several days in a row, I was less impressed. So I use it 2-3 days a week now, but only interspersed with my other favorite products. I like it.

Bottom line: I'm never going to be a fan of the no-product way of dealing with hair, because I have crappy hair. But I have to say that RenPure is worth trying, especially since you can try it without breaking the bank.

Mission accomplished. Even with looking up all the links, this took 18 minutes. I love no brainer posts. Sunday's post won't be up until late in the day but I'll get it there eventually.

No comments: