Friday, November 13, 2015

7ToF: Friday the 13th edition. And by the way, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

1. I wouldn't exactly describe myself as superstitious, but I'm aware of it enough that I can't walk under a ladder, or break a mirror, or see the date on Friday the 13th, without knowing that it's supposed to be unlucky. I even notice if I step on a sidewalk crack--I don't worry about my poor mom's back, but I do notice. Wait a  minute, she has been having some back pain recently.... OK, kidding. I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that kids today (those elusive Kids Today) are no longer superstitious at all. As confirmation of this rumor, I offer my nephew, who is getting married today. I don't believe there's anything to the whole Friday the 13th thing, but I don't think I would be able to get married on Friday the 13th.

2. If you're reading this on Friday, stop right now (please) and say a quick prayer for Stewart and Stephanie as they start their marriage, or send them white light or positive vibes or whatever you do.

3. I'm writing this on Tuesday, but if all goes as planned, we will be in Colorado Springs for the wedding when you read this. It's supposed to be sunny and not too cold. We are looking forward to seeing lots of family and also catching up with some dear friends who live there. Quick trip, but should be fun.

4. You've had enough from me about Betty Neels, I know, but I can't believe I left "no sex" out of the top 10 things you can expect --er, not expect in this case-- from our beloved Betty. Her books are so chaste that when there's even a whiff of sensuality you find yourself thinking, Whoa, Betty, slow down there. Let's not get overheated. ha.

I know, this is lame. Beyond lame. But this is what happens when I try to write six blog posts in two days. Blame it on NaBloPoMo. I certainly do.

5. The knitting class update. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I never went back after that first time. I had to miss Week Two because of the cruise with my mom, but I was sure the boat would be full of elderly women sitting around with their knitting, so I thought I would be able to get lots of help and practice. I wound a 3" ball of yarn and got some wooden knitting needles for the trip, then did not see one single knitter the entire week. Since I can't even cast on without help, I was sunk. (har.)(on a cruise ship, get it?) Then I had to miss Weeks Two and Three because of another commitment, and by then it was a done deal. The class was only six weeks long. I still want to learn to knit, though, so I will try it again sometime.

6. College Applications. If you've been through it, that's all I need to say. The essay. The deadlines. The recommendation letters. The endless details. Oy. He's doing it, not me, but there are things he can't do (like find his social security number) without help. And the kid's not even applying anywhere particularly competitive. It could be so much worse.

7. When I saw the headline for the controversy about the new Starbucks holiday cups, I thought it was a joke. These people have entirely too much time on their hands. It's a freaking red cup. I feel only sympathy for everyone in our country who is in a religious/faith tradition --or non-faith tradition-- that doesn't celebrate Christmas, because from Halloween on, our entire country is all Christmas all the time. I'm actually happy that vendors have enough respect for their customers of all traditions to do what they can to mitigate the Christmas onslaught. I almost never go to Starbucks but maybe I will go a few times during the holiday season to help offset the boycotters.

Since I can't say it any better now, here is what I said about a similar controversy in Dec 2012:
Can I say for the record that no, I do not mind if someone says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas? I know people who are Jewish, Seventh Day Adventist, Wiccan, atheist, and who-knows-what-else and I'm actually glad there is a neutral way to wish them the joy of the season. Celebrate it however you want-- light a candle on a menorah, believe in Santa, burn a yule log, head up to the ski slopes, go to church, fast and pray, sit with a Jameson next to the fire. I hope everybody has the kind of holiday season they enjoy. Happy Holidays.

Have a great weekend. Five down, one to go. Who knows what boring-ness I will subject you to tomorrow.

1 comment:

KarenB said...

I hope the wedding weekend went well! Best wishes to all involved. Just getting caught back up here. . .