Sunday, April 5, 2020

Day 9: in which I cut my own bangs

Dean prides himself on noticing when I get my hair cut, but otherwise, he never mentions my hair at all. So yesterday, when he reached over and brushed my bangs off my face and said, you've got hair in your eyes, I decided it was time to do something about it.

Vanessa, who has been cutting my hair for at least a dozen years now, had to close down her shop, of course. I did my best to copy her method-- cut straight across, just below the line of my eyebrows, then hold the scissors vertically and make tiny, eighth-inch v-cuts so it's not so much like a bowl cut.

It takes her about 40 seconds, but ten minutes later, I wasn't sure I quite had it right. At least I don't have hair in my eyes anymore, and I don't think Zoom's picture quality is good enough for anyone else to notice.

Other self-sufficient tasks I've accomplished in the past two weeks: made yogurt in the Instant Pot (the first time I'd used my Instant Pot in over a year), and made granola from scratch. Both were acceptably successful, but the Instant Pot yogurt requires a half-gallon of milk and half a cup of yogurt to get it started, so it isn't exactly something you can do from pantry staples.

(Hence, the need for yogurt I mentioned on Friday. But if you have to buy yogurt to get it started, couldn't you just buy your yogurt? *cough* Apparently I don't have the Ma Ingalls mindset.)(yeah, I know, I used to make yogurt all the time.)

#stayhealthystayhome

No comments: