Friday, April 3, 2020

Day 7: the beat goes on

Around here, there are two main types of winter weather: overcast with highs in the 30s, or sunny and clear but bitter cold. It's not that we never see the sun in the winter, it's just that when we do, it's usually seven degrees with a windchill of minus ten.

So for me, one of the surest signs of spring is when I go outside and the sun feels warm. That happened today. It's only about 42, but I took the dog down to feed our one remaining chicken, and as I stood in the field endlessly throwing her tennis ball, the sun on my back was so warm that if I'd stayed much longer I would have taken off my jacket.

Had a conversation with friends today about how our pets and the world around us are oblivious to the anxiety and fear we're experiencing. Spring is coming. There was a squirrel eating out of our bird feeder. Sadie chases her ball. The cat proudly left a mouse outside the sliding glass door yesterday. It's not enough to entirely calm my mind, but it helps.

I made it to Target and the grocery store today, to grab a few items that were running low: printer paper, toothpaste, yogurt. Fortunately, all were in stock. If you're local, the SuperOne in the middle of town still had toilet paper at 9:30 this morning. Not much, and I didn't buy any, but at least it is reappearing.

No comments: