Thursday, November 8, 2018

Nov 18 Day 8: when the weather outside is frightful

Suddenly it is cold here (the high today was 34), which reminds me of the best bits of cold weather advice I've collected over the years. Some of you will never need this, and then there are some of you who could probably contribute more. 

 - Invest in a good coat, gloves, hat, and boots. They last forever, so it's worth getting good ones. I'm still wearing the same shell I bought more than twenty years ago. (I'd actually be happy to replace it but I've yet to find another one I like as well.)

- That said, don't start wearing your winter gear too early. If you're wearing your heavy winter coat when it's 45 degrees in November, what are you going to wear in February when it's 12 degrees?

- A scarf wrapped around your neck makes any jacket considerably warmer.

- Keep gloves in your car. (If you wear gloves all the time, you won't need this one, but I hate wearing gloves so having a pair in the car is a lifesaver.) Other car supplies: ice scraper and kitty litter (for traction if it's icy).

- When there's a winter storm in the forecast, make sure your tank is full. Then you aren't standing out in the howling wind with snow blowing in your face trying to gas up your car.

- And the corollary: when a temperature plunge is coming, if you care, wash your car before the deep freeze arrives. If your car is clean before the temps drop, then when everything ices up, it will actually stay clean for awhile. (as opposed to when it's 38 and slushy and your car is unrecognizable under the mud)(we've all been there)

- Also (of course) keep crucial supplies stocked up (by which I mean coffee/tea/chocolate, but customize that list to suit yourself).

- Down comforters. Down throws. Down jackets. Down, people. If it can keep geese warm while they're flying in below zero temps, it will work for you, too.

That's everything I can think of. The Southerners among you are probably feeling pretty smug about getting to ignore all this, but I don't mind winter-- at least at the beginning. It's only when it sticks around too long that I hate it.

More than two paragraphs, but they're short paragraphs so it still counts, right?

No comments: