Friday, November 2, 2018

7ToF: we borrowed the flux capacitor to go back to 1983, but Hertz had no DeLoreans available so we got a minivan instead

Well, the short version of what happened in October is nothing much.

1. But we did go to our 35th college reunion. For years it interfered with our kids' fall break, so we had never been to a reunion. But now that we're empty nesters, we could finally go. Dean and I met in college, at a school that he went to all four years, and I started as a junior transfer. (This was back in the day when almost everyone finished in four years. Imagine.) So really, this was Dean's deal-- I think most college students bond most strongly with their freshman friends, and he had a bunch of people he was looking forward to seeing.

2. But I was kind of dreading it, since over the years I've become progressively less social and less interesting. Also, I'm a frumpy 57-year-old who weighs 40 pounds more than I did in college, and I'm unemployed and not really all that sure what I want to do with my life. By the time we left, I had worked myself into a state of neurotic certainty that I was going to spend the weekend feeling like a total loser.

3. But you know what? People are kind, and for the most part friendly, and it ended up being a lot of fun. I did have to take a break a couple of times, but it was easy to go off for a walk or to skip an event, and it turned out fine. And it helped me get back in touch with a more idealistic, less cynical version of me, which was kind of nice.

4. Also, it helped me realize that I really don't want to be any age other than the one I am-- so maybe I am finally through my midlife crisis. *throws confetti* When a woman we ate lunch with tried to start a conversation about how being 57 is the new 35, she didn't get very far because none of us really wanted to be 35 again.Why can't 57 just be 57?

5. And then of course we were pretty much the coolest people there since the rental car agency was nearly out of normal-sized sedans by the time I got around to making our reservation, so the cheapest option was-- a minivan. Nothing says cool like pulling up to your 35th reunion in a Chrysler Pacifica.

6. We had a gorgeous, sunny October with spectacular fall colors. But by the time we got back from our trip, it was cooler and raining--November weather, right on time. Honestly, after a long stretch of sunny weather, I don't mind a little rain. It puts me in the mood to sit by the fire and read mystery novels. Now I just need to find the time to sit by the fire and read mystery novels.

7. So I had my mini-trip to Oregon and Seattle back at the beginning of October, and I had a second mini-trip to the reunion, and those two breaks really did work to re-charge my battery. Here's a midlife celebration: long-term friends. Dare I say, old friends. I got to see a bunch of them this month, and it's a beautiful and luxurious thing to be able to spend time with people you've known and loved for decades.

I am, of course--now that I've committed myself to it-- wondering why in the world I decided to do the November posting thing again. I will try not to bore you. Or me.

Have a great weekend, and I will be back on Monday.

No comments: