Sunday, January 7, 2018

another (sort of) brief one: update on social media experiment

Hello, again. Well, one week into my experiment with "avoiding social media and constant awareness of new headlines," here is what I can tell you. For those of you who missed the original post, I am one week into my experiment with deleting all games, news, and social media apps from my phone, and only accessing them once a week. Also, I'm trying to limit my internet use to between noon and about 10 p.m. on other devices.

- it was only hard the first day. After that it was no problem.
- much to my surprise, I missed my two games more than I did Instagram or Twitter.
- I really like not reading the news first thing in the morning. I've been checking the headlines on my lunch break at work instead and that is plenty.
- My attention span is already better, which is a bit of a relief. I was worried that my brain had been permanently re-wired.

This ended up being the perfect week to do it, because on the one hand, it was a huge success. I got a bunch of reading done, I made progress on a couple of different projects here at home, and I really like starting off the day not being mad at the news.

But on the other hand, my weekly Facebook check-in was tonight, and two of my three groups had significant things going on that I had missed. So it was a good reminder of how much I love my FB people. (I enjoy Twitter and Instagram, but I don't use them to stay in touch with people, they're mainly just for entertainment.) 

So bottom line, I think I might have hit the perfect balance by accident already here in my first week. I don't like to miss things, but I don't think being away for a week is going to make a huge difference, and I'm hardly essential to any of my groups, much as I love them.

Jury's still out on whether or not I like submitting my blog posts by email. I need to do it longer before I figure that out. As I said before, apologies if the formatting is screwed up and for not answering comments.

No comments: