Tuesday, October 20, 2015

7ToF except it's Tuesday

1. I got waylaid with a massive migraine yesterday, so today's post (which I usually write on Monday) didn't happen. In fact, at the moment I can't even remember what it was going to be about. I'm feeling much better today, though, which is a good thing because the kid's senior portraits are this afternoon and it would be helpful if I were coherent for that. My brain isn't capable of a regular post today but I thought maybe I could manage a "7 Things" post and I'll do what was going to be today's post on Friday. If I can remember what it was going to be about.

2. I keep thinking I'm done with migraines. Partly because at least in terms of frequency, they are so much better. I have weeks at a time now where I feel great and have only a few minor headaches or none at all. But three times this year I've been blindsided by really severe ones, the kind I haven't had since I was in my 20s. It's no fun. I even ended up at the urgent care getting an MRI, MRA and some kind of scan (cat? c? maybe head-CT?) a few months ago. All the tests came out normal, thank goodness. I guess this is my new post-menopause normal. It's difficult to be objective the day after a bad one, but I think overall it's better to feel good most of the time with the occasional severe migraine than to walk around with a low-grade headache all the time. I'll take it.

3. Maybe you thought it was a bit odd that we were staying at a campground in October while visiting colleges. I admit it wouldn't have been my first choice. But it was all part of the negotiations I told you about a couple of weeks ago. This past weekend was a four day weekend for the public schools--it's some kind of enrichment thing for the teachers and fall break for the kids. Doug and Sam have used that weekend for years to go hunting. This year, we needed to do some college visits, but Sam didn't want to give up his hunting trip. So we compromised. We took him out of school a day early, did two college tours, and then they went hunting. Hence, the camper at the KOA. I drove back Friday and they stayed on.

4. Except Sadie, our 3-year-old black lab, got an infected foot that got so bad that she was lethargic and scary. It was bad enough that they cut their trip short and came home. We're still not sure what happened--snake bite? spider bite? a small cut that got worse over several days? But after getting her on antibiotics and prednisone and everything else the vet could think of, she is better. We're so relieved.

5. Now she has to wear the cone of shame, because she can't stop licking it. Poor thing. And she has to stay in the kitchen because it's a bit oozy and you know-- carpet. So she thinks she's being punished. Poor baby. We keep telling her it will all be better in a few more days.

6. We went on a marriage enrichment retreat put on by our church a couple of years ago. That group of couples has continued to meet more-or-less monthly ever since. We take a break over the summer, so when we met this past weekend, it was the first time we'd met in several months. The topic this week (Who Does What in Your House) was one that Doug and I have already discussed plenty of times, so I thought it would be boring. But when we split up into couples and went through it point by point, we ended up having a really interesting and helpful talk.

So if you have a chance to join a group like that, it's well worth it. I was dreading it before we went to the original retreat, because I thought it was going to be a bunch of public over-sharing and I hate that. But it wasn't like that at all, and the sessions have been a lot of fun.

7. Like I said, senior portrait this afternoon. We're doing them here at the house, and according to the apple weather app, it's supposed to be sunny. We still have some fall color left, too. So the basics are good, but you know me and fashion. I spent way too much buying new shirts and a suit vest hoping that the photographer will be able to put them together into some sort of decent "senior portrait look." I even had Mel help me out by going on Pinterest and finding some examples. It's sure not going to happen just from Sam and me. Wish us luck.

Have a great week and I'll be back on Friday with a more coherent post.

p.s. Since I'm editing a couple of errors and badly worded items this morning (Wed 10/21), I will also add the senior portrait update. It went well and Sam was entirely cooperative. He is a good looking kid, and I'm not biased or anything. However, we did have some fashion challenges. I'm wishing I could redo his "look" on a couple of them already. But I'm positive there will be plenty of good ones to choose from, so I'm practicing letting go. I'll post a few when we get them back (which is OK with this photographer, she gives us a thumb drive with all the pics).

1 comment:

KarenB said...

Sam looked great. But you knew that already!