Friday, October 30, 2015

7ToF: baseball, country music, and (Apple) FaceTime

1. A friend's car ended up in our driveway Wednesday with a flatter-than-flat tire. I facetimed Doug at work, switched the camera so he could guide us through turning on the air compressor and attaching the tire gizmo, and she was good to go in less than ten minutes. (The flat wasn't fixed, but it was good enough to get her to a service station.) There are days when technology drives me nuts, but I'm feeling very fond of it at the moment. I am theoretically capable of changing a tire, but I'm so glad I didn't have to.

2. Sadie, our black lab who was so sick a couple of weeks ago, is well again-- at least, she is recovered from her near-septic illness. But she still has a quarter-sized open sore on her foot, so she can't do her usual insane amount of chasing after tennis balls. She's driving us crazy, as only a cooped-up three-year-old lab can (and I know some of you know exactly what I'm talking about).

I don't very often buy her chew toys, because she only likes the fluffy ones with a squeaker, which (of course) lead to squeaking and fluff all over the house. But today, since I had to run by a pet store anyway, I decided it would be worth the investment. I found a new kind--it's called an "Invincible," and it has no fluff! It keeps squeaking even when punctured! It is awesome! And she is happy. So I am happy. (update: it only took her half an hour to get the first of three squeakers out, but at least there are still two more.)



3. It's world series time. I don't watch much baseball during the regular season because we don't have a team anywhere near us and I haven't managed to get attached to a team since we left behind our favorite minor league farm team years ago. But I love baseball, and I generally end up watching the world series, even during the years I know nothing about the teams involved-- which is true this year. I have no connection whatsoever to either team, I don't even know anyone who has a connection. But was that a great game last night or what?? (I confess we went to bed at the end of the 11th inning because sleep). I think we decided to be Mets fans last night. (that obviously was written on Wednesday. We may have picked the wrong team.)

4. My brief love affair with country music seems to be over. The last time I told you about it, I was a recent convert because there were a whole bunch of songs on the radio with clever lyrics set to good music. But now it seems every time I switch to one of the country music stations, it's old school twangy-ness and countrified cliché lyrics. I actually heard a song yesterday that started out with a guy chewing on a pork rind. Oh please no. Blecch.

5. Food Thought of the Week: I feel a sense of nostalgic regret that hamburger has been relegated to the list of things we aren't supposed to eat. There used to be all kinds of things you could do with a pound of hamburger, but I've read several recent cookbooks that don't even mention the stuff, even cookbooks of the "30-minute meals" variety. So I was going to do a Seven Things post on things you could do with a pound of hamburger. But what am I going to do, hand you seven recipes? Link to Pinterest? So I'm punting on that idea, but I just wanted to say that I still make chili and spaghetti sauce and meat loaf with just plain old ground beef. Hamburger, I've got your back.

6. Sam's senior portraits turned out great! I think most of you have already seen them on Facebook, but just in case you missed them, the photographer's blog is here.

7. November, otherwise known as National Blog Posting Month, starts on Sunday. I'm planning on posting every day (or at least most days) in November, but I have to start on Monday because we will be out of internet range on Sunday and I don't have time to get a post written before we go. So check back often, starting on Monday! I've already got a list of about ten ideas for posts. If the Well of Posts runs dry, I may re-post some of my favorites from my old blog. Ready, set, go.

No comments: