Friday, February 25, 2022

placeholder of randomness

I wish I had something wise and helpful to say to you, but I don't. I've been playing too many word games, and worrying too much, and wondering if any of us really knows, let alone understands, what's going on. I'm going to be out of town the next two Fridays, so maybe I will just take a break and start posting again later. 

Random recs: We watched Dune Sunday night (for the 3rd time, our son is a huge fan), and it is a surprisingly good adaptation (I'm always surprised when adaptations are good). If you liked the book when you read it 30 years ago, you'll probably like the movie now. I'm reading The Night Watchman, Louise Erdrich's Pulitzer prize winner, and Jane Austen at Home, which started slowly and now is interesting. But I'm so distracted that I'm only managing a few pages a day. If you're a literature nerd (and I am), the Mr. Difficult podcast, about Jonathan Franzen, is fascinating and sometimes ridiculous, as suits its subject. And I'm reading Kate Bowler's new book of devotions, Good Enough, and I am not good enough to be reading them every day, so maybe I will finish that by summer.

I was going to say something along the lines of let it be new, but I knew I'd said it before, so I went and found the old post and I phrased it way better in 2019 that what I just wrote. Skip it if you're not feeling it today. And while I was looking for that post, I found this one, which made me laugh, so I'm linking to it, too. I warned you in the post title that this would be random. I wish you peace and some small breaks from the crazy, whenever you can manage them.

Behold, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
    and streams in the wasteland.  Isaiah 43.19

No comments: