Thursday, May 16, 2019

7T: aches and pains and baby geese

1. I went on a road trip last week to visit both kids. First stop was Bozeman to get the annual tour of interesting places from MadMax who is at school there. Then the next day we drove to Salt Lake City for PellMel's birthday and Mother's Day weekend. I love a good road trip and this one was really fun. Dean was able to fly down for the Salt Lake part. 

2. But nothing shows your age like having to sit still for a couple of hours. I used to be a road warrior, but not anymore. Between the bathroom breaks and the now-mandatory stretching stops, we rarely went more than a couple of hours without a break. At one point we went three hours and I could barely walk when I got out of the car.

3. For some reason I couldn't get interested in the audiobook I had downloaded, so I listened to a bunch of podcasts. Highly recommend the Broken Record podcast interview with Pentatonix, the Without Fail podcast interview with Paul Holes (about the search for the Golden State killer), and the 10% Happier podcast interview with Brene Brown.

4. When I got back, we had babies! We've had a Canada goose hanging around for a couple of weeks, but there didn't seem to be a partner. So we were surprised when one day there were two geese and six or seven goslings in tow. They are the cutest things. I will try putting a picture in here and we'll see if it posts. (If it doesn't, you're not missing much- I don't want to scare them so I took it from pretty far away.) 



5. In honor of the appearance of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue this week (doesn't it usually come out in February or March? not sure why it was so late this year), here is the link to the rant I wrote back in 2013. I don't usually care all that much about it, but that year they published a special insert about how to "get the look" of a swimsuit model, and it pissed me off. To put it mildly. They've never done it again, so I must not have been the only one who didn't like it.

6. Remember when I was on an eco-guilt trip about using disposable face wipes every night? Well, I found a great solution and I am a happy convert. They're called micro-fiber face cloths and you just get them wet and wipe your face, then throw them in the laundry. No soap required. I have about a dozen and my favorites are here. 

7. One of the things we tried in Salt Lake City was Top Golf. It's sort of like if you made a golf course into a bowling alley. It was fun for all of us, but especially for Dean and MadMax who are big golfers. The scoring system favors accuracy, so Dean cleaned up. MadMax is more about the huge drive that doesn't really go where you want it to but soars one hell of a long way. It's expensive but fun if you're a golf fan.

And since we are, and it looks to be a rainy weekend, we'll probably spend the better part of ours watching the PGA Championship, which starts today (it's Thursday as I'm typing this). Have a good one.

p.s. I forgot that I get an email version when people comment, so Hi Laurel and Julie! But I can't respond to them directly at the moment.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hi!
;-)

Karen B said...

I'm totally excited about B'con!

Also not into Game of Thrones. I tried the books several years ago and they were so unrelentingly grim and dark - unpleasant characters, murder and rape and not even a glimmer of humor to lighten it up. So I wasn't even tempted to watch.

Little fuzzy goslings are so cute!