Thursday, June 21, 2018

confessions that make no sense

When I first started blogging, I imagined myself as an anonymous writer, able to bare my soul and put it out there to an audience who had no idea who I was. In other words, I would be able to be totally honest without having to take responsibility for the things I said, because nobody in my real life would know about it.

But you know what? It turns out that for the most part, unless your blog hits the big time, the only people who read it are people who know you and are interested to hear what you have to say (<-- what I think on a good day)(alternatively: who know you and feel obligated to keep up with what you write <-- what I think on a bad day).

Which makes the stakes for honesty a lot higher. If I tell you what I'm really thinking, one of you could text me at any given moment, or call me, or run into me at the store, and say with the kindest concern, "How are you doing?"  and if I say, "Fine," respond, "No, really. How are you doing?" And I will end up having to have a conversation I don't want to have in the cereal aisle. Even though that's on me, it would be sweet of you to want to be supportive.

But on the other hand, I really am a private person who prefers to deal with things on my own. I can definitely carry my personal load of crap issues and also deal capably with my life--I've been doing it for years--so if you do run into me at Costco, just assume I'm fine unless it seems like I want to talk. I guess I might as well put that out there. (And given the string of high profile suicides recently, maybe I should also say that I'm nowhere close to being suicidal. It's not that kind of thing.)

The truth is that my light has gone out. Or at least gone into hiding. This little light of mine, I don't know how to let it shine anymore. I'm not happy, and haven't been for a long time. And I don't know what to do about it. I know (or I think I know, anyway) the reasons why I'm unhappy, and for the most part they are things I don't want to change, or can't change. For a long time now, my energy has been going into enduring instead of thriving.

What I'm trying to learn is how to dump all that, how to be really, truly OK, in the midst of any circumstances. The Buddhists call it equanimity. The Christians have Paul, who in his letter to the church at Phlippi says, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." The circumstances don't have to matter. I can be at peace with myself no matter what.

But in the meantime, until I get there, I'm trying to plumb the depths of what exactly this is, and it isn't exactly pleasant. A lot of what's going on is me being, for lack of a better term, spoiled rotten. My entitled expectations of what my life "should" be like aren't being met, and so I start to whine. The problem isn't the circumstances, it's those expectations.

OK, that's all for now. Maybe I will revisit this another time, and maybe I won't. In a way, that's what the disappointment posts have been about. I really want to take care of this before I become a bitter old woman, which is where I'm going to end up unless I figure this out.

Insert standard disclaimer here about how lucky I am, and how could I be so ungrateful with the amazing life I have (which is totally true). I'm a straight white woman married to a white man with a high status job, I have amazing children, according to pretty much every indicator I should be the happiest woman on earth. This is not a situation that's likely to garner a lot of sympathy, and it doesn't deserve any. But I'm hoping speaking the truth will help jolt me into some new energy to get to work.

4 comments:

KarenB said...

I don't know if this is true for you, but for me one of the sad parts of getting older is that there are a lot things I'm never going to do. And I have to give them up. I listen to my kids making all kinds of plans - someday I want to ____ plans, change the world plans, career plans, etc. - and most or almost all of that just isn't going to happen. Then there's the body getting older problem - my knees have been really sore recently, for instance. And those things don't necessarily get better like they used to.

I'm trying to make a mental change to doing things that I enjoy for me and that it's okay to do them just because I enjoy them. And to back away from the things that aren't bringing me some satisfaction. I don't mind the work and stress if I get something back in terms of feeling like I'm doing something worthwhile.

What is scaring me the most right now? Selfishly? The thought of my husband retiring.

Anyway, hugs for the feeling down and if you want to write back and forth about it or even actually talk, you know how to get me.

BarbN said...

You know, I do think that's part of it. Switching from that feeling of, "I can do something, I can make a difference," to "I'm doing what works for me." It feels selfish on some level, but I no longer believe I can change the world. Which everyone over the age of 50 will understand is simply a normal progression (possibly long overdue), and most people under the age of 50 will see as unpardonable cynicism. Thanks for articulating this--it's something I've thought about quite a bit, I think there's even a post or two about it, but not quite in this context.

BarbN said...

Ha! OK, now the post title for Friday (the lyrics from Saturday in the park) are cracking me up. lolol. I actually meant to change that title before it went live but we were out thursday night and I forgot all about it. OOPS!!!!! For the record, this week I wrote the 7things on Friday post on Monday or Tues-- can't remember for sure-- because I didn't think I'd be home much on Thursday (and I wasn't).

KarenB said...

I think it's that the scope of the change that you see yourself making in the world changes. I realize I will never Change the WORLD, but I will change the world that touches me in small ways. I've raised really good kids with heart and passion and intelligence. I helped out numerous people in small ways and made their life better even if it was only for 5 minutes. I'm working to get someone I believe in elected. And it's fine that I spend time and money making pottery mostly for me.

And yeah, those lyrics are kinda lol after this!!