Friday, May 25, 2018

7ToF: I was just cutting the grass under the window there

1. Well, I decided not to write an entire post on the Enneagram yet (mainly because I can't find my book). So I'll just say that I started out skeptical--it sounded kind of like astrology-- but have ended up being really impressed with what I've learned from my Enneagram number. You take the quiz (because of course there's a quiz), but then unlike all the other typing systems, you read through the descriptions and decide for yourself which one fits you best.

2. Enneagram types are numbered 1 to 9. I think I am a 5, the Observer type. Among other characteristics, Observers like to watch people and listen to them--which is so true of me. I am endlessly entertained by people watching (airports, malls, coffee shops), and I can eavesdrop by the hour (more on this topic when the book turns up).

3. So, since I like listening to people talk, especially people who are smart and funny, I love podcasts. I've listened to podcasts on and off for years, but I've only recently been serious about figuring out how to subscribe to my favorites so I can listen to them regularly. I use Overcast, a podcast app that has a few more options than the standard podcast app that came with my phone. I've only had it a couple of weeks but so far I like it.

4. So what podcasts am I hooked on? First of all, What Should I Read Next, which is Anne Bogel (Modern Mrs. Darcy) interviewing people about their reading habits and then recommending books she thinks they'll enjoy. That probably sounds a bit dry, but if you love to read, it ends up being really fun to listen to fellow readers sit and talk about books. Some episodes are better than others, of course, but this is the show that hooked me into being a regular podcast listener. Also, Anne's personality is charming. That's kind of a dicey word to use, but I can't think of a more accurate one to describe her podcast persona. Verdict: if you're a reader, don't miss.

5. Popcast. Popcast is really just co-hosts Jamie and Knox gossiping about pop culture. With every single episode, I find myself thinking at some point Why do I listen to this? I'm about twenty years older than their target audience, I don't watch reality TV (no judgment there, it's just not for me), and about half the time I have no idea who they're talking about. But then --and this also happens at least once in every single episode-- one of them says something that's so nuts that I laugh till I cry. And then they'll reference something that I do get-- like tomato sandwiches in Harriet the Spy-- and I think, OK, I'm in for at least one more episode, and then after a couple of months, I found myself looking forward to listening to new episodes the day they came out. They are having a ball and that enjoyment is infectious. Verdict: Really, really fun.

6. Happier with Gretchen Rubin. You all know how I've argued with Gretchen Rubin in my head about her book The Four Tendencies. So I wasn't sure I'd like her podcast. But it turns out that it's interesting and entertaining. She co-hosts with her sister Elizabeth, who sounds like she's about as opposite as can be from Gretchen, but they clearly feel a great deal of affection for each other, and it's fun to listen to them talk. Also, you pick up some great "life hacks" for making your personal world a better, more functional place. Verdict: Gretchen's down-to-earth, practical advice for improving your life is a goldmine of helpful ideas.

Also recommended: 10% Happier: The Podcast, The Big Boo Cast, By the Book, Fresh Air, This American Life.

7. In Other News: "Internet Things Worth Reading" Department: A NYTimes piece about Why You Should Stop Being So Hard on Yourself. Turns out we're practically programmed to be hard on ourselves. Maybe all those dumb things I do are just not that big a deal.

and that's it for me. Let me know if you have other don't-miss podcast recommendations. Have a great weekend.

No comments: