Friday, June 1, 2018

7ToF: this will be quick because I'm on my way out of town. ROAD TRIP!

1. The post I had planned for Tuesday got eaten by the internet. I have no idea what happened. It was two-thirds typed. Blogger has an auto-save feature that saves it every 10-15 seconds, so I know it had been saved. It shouldn't have disappeared, but it did. And then there was the holiday on Monday, and I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow, and there went the week. Oops. If I can remember it, I'll redo it next week.

2. I've discovered a really great thing about my de-cluttering project. With most home improvement projects--say, repainting a room or renovating your kitchen--you can't enjoy the results until you're done. But with decluttering, as soon as you've cleared out a single drawer, or made one good pass through a closet, the results are obvious. I'm not anywhere close to done but I'm already happy about how it’s going.

3. This week's major accomplishment: cleared out, dusted, and re-organized the massive roll-top desk Dean inherited from his grandfather. It was a cluttered mess, now it's a usable space. *throws confetti*

4. What's your opinion about getting rid of financial documents? I discussed this with a friend a couple of days ago. We've had all the same account numbers for 25 years, so anything with an account number is current. My friend says if it's in a trash bag and headed to the dump, how is anybody going to find it? It's not like there's someone in the back alley chomping at the bit to go through our trash. So far I've been just paranoid enough about this that I'm shredding everything that has an account number or address on it. But then you've got all this shredded stuff you have to do something with. (Hmmm, I suppose I could use it as confetti.) *throws confetti*

5. This week's interesting read: What I Got Wrong About Cultural Appropriation "The do-or-die way we talk about cultural appropriation has somehow made it easier to punish those who have the most to learn, and reward those who know just the bare minimum." The language in this article is fairly academic, but it's a thoughtful piece prompted by the furor over a young white student who wore a qipao, a Chinese dress, to her high school prom. Worth reading.

6. I'm making a genuine effort to read books by more diverse authors this year. So far I've read memoirs by Phoebe Robinson and Gabrielle Union, and our book club is doing Sing Unburied Sing in June. They're thought provoking and worth reading. I also read the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks which is about an African American woman whose cells changed the world of medical research-- fascinating. I thought I was pretty up on the ways we discriminate against people of color, but broadening my reading has opened my eyes to things I didn't know. It's never too late to learn. Or to change.

7. I'm driving to Seattle this weekend to meet up with my older sister and attend the memorial service of a cousin's son who was killed a couple of months ago. The whole situation is just so sad. So between the traveling and catching up when I get back, I may not be able to post by next Tuesday-- not sure yet. Say a prayer for Paige. In spite of the sad event, I'm looking forward to the road trip.

Hope you have a great weekend. I plan to-- my sister has only been to Seattle for professional meetings so I get to show her around a bit.

No comments: